Federal drug charges may include:
- Possession or Use of A Controlled Substance
- Sale or Distribution of A Controlled Substance
- Cultivation of Marijuana
- Conspiracy to Traffic or Distribute A Controlled Substance
- The Sale or Manufacture of Methamphetamine or other Controlled Substance
- Interstate or International Transportation of A Controlled Substance
- Illegally Writing Prescriptions for Opiates or Other Controlled Substances
Federal drug cases are unique in that the accused is often contacted before federal charges are formally filed against them. This can be a trap for the unwary, as federal investigators are not obligated to inform a suspect of his or her legal rights unless the suspect is formally placed “under arrest.” To circumvent this status, investigators often conduct their interviews in the residences or places of employment of their targets. Instead of talking, a suspect should always politely decline to say anything at all, and should immediately hire legal counsel who can give the accused a leg-up in their defense.
Jonathan Laurans believes that the best way to defend against federal drug charges is to confront the matter and learn your options as early as possible. He is available to immediately begin building your defense. Federal criminal cases are complex, and he will review the government’s case against you to identify any weaknesses in its case. Mr. Laurans is experienced in evaluating and calculating the Federal Sentencing Guidelines and how they pertain to your potential federal case. Determining your “exposure” in federal court is the starting point for all rational defense decisions you’ll be needing to make. Do not hesitate. Call for an appointment today. (816) 421-5200.